Friday, June 25, 2010

Random request

- Does anyone know if any of H.P. Lovecraft's letters are available online (complete letters, not the excerpts that get cited)? I've only seen them available in books. I'm particularly interested in letters he wrote in the 30s, and those particular letters I've only seen available for sale in an edited volume that is epecially expensive (relative to edited volumes of some of his earlier letters). The guy is supposed to have written 100,000 letters in his lifetime - some of these have to be available online!

- Does anyone know any books or articles on the impact that the Great Depression had on literature? I'm aware of Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory about the impact of WWI on literature. I'm interested in a similar thesis, but about the Great Depression. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks

3 comments:

  1. William Solomon, "Literature, Amusement, and Technology in the Great Depression"

    I would also recommend the recent biographies of Ayn Rand. She set out to be the anti-Steinbeck (well more than that really) and she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Xenophon - you're always good as a ready bibliography.

    I'm playing with some thoughts on Shadow Out of Time - the short story I mentioned the other day. I hadn't realized until the last couple days when I've been reading more on it that a lot of critics considered it his best and most important work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably because I read too damn much. ;)

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.