Friday, February 3, 2012

Posts on two Virginia industries near and dear to my heart...

...commercial space transportation and wine. The state is eclipsed by Florida and California, respectively in these industries but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of exciting stuff going on.

The first link discusses some news in the promotion of commercial space transportation. Interest in Virginia's role in this industry revolve around Wallop's Island, which is one of the longest running spaceports in the country. Advocates note that Virginia's proximity to Washington, the Pentagon, the metropolises of the eastern seaboard, and the naval facilities in Norfolk give it a leg-up in the commercial space transportation industry. Wallop's Island currently doesn't rival facilities in Florida or the aerospace industrial base on the West Coast, but it could be an important player in the future.

The second link reviews a study of the impact of the wine industry on Virginia's economy. The industry is growing rapidly, contributing almost twice as much as it did in 2010 compared to 2005.

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure that SpaWar has facilities near Norfolk and that many of the big space contractors also have facilities/offices close by. But, yeah. The sheer amount of infrastructure for space-type work and technology-based systems is far greater in Cali and Florida. I kicked around the idea of working in this industry after I got out of the Navy, the job offers were there and the pay was right, I just didn't want to be flying all over the world (I had had my share of travel), plus I wanted to stay out of government. I remember the first time I ever walked the SpaWar complex in SD, it was almost like being in a movie, it makes NASA Glenn look like a small machine shop.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.